The Norwegian Sweater




The Norwegian Sweater

I remember a time when I was young and hearty—
and never cold, so that we
ripped the radiator out of the room in order to get
two and half more feet of living space

I was given thick wool sweaters that I passed on,
gave away to Salvation Army;
they were made for people living on the streets

After having my baby
(thirty years ago) my feet ached
I bought cushiony fleece and suede slippers
from L. L. Bean but hardly wore them;
they made my feet so hot I had to kick them off
in the night

I could not imagine a time when I’d ever be cold
My motor ran fast and high, creating energy
to light up Chicago, or at least my block
I lost more sweaters leaving them on the back of chairs
or castoff in other people’s kitchen, or
forgotten on the sidewalk after loading up the car.

Now
I live in thick wooly sweaters
six months out of a year and
that Norwegian sweater is my mainstay, and
those Bean slippers: I sleep in them
yet still my feet are cold
It sometimes feels like
I will never be warm or
young again

Comments