Why I'm doing this bike trip

Here is an excerpt from my bike diary at Crazy Guy on a bike, pics to come


https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1mr&doc_id=19472&v=2t

When I left last year for my UK JOGLE I'd hesitantly written about the violence in my neighborhood. Not just Chicago, but in front of my house, the building where I live. I'd also written about how much the election and candidate Trump bothered me. Never once did I think it would get worse.
Now a little over 6 months later the stress is intense. At my blog Memiorouswrite.blogspot.com I've talked about how Trump has triggered emotions that go way beyond politics. His policies hurt the poor, people I serve. The next few years will be ones that will deeply impact my neighborhood and the shelter.
At the shelter a few years ago we were able to house and help a mom and her daughter. We ran a story in our newsletter about Misty. http://www.ccolife.org/i-dont-have-to-run-anymore-mistys-story/
Checking into the motel this afternoon the proprietor asked me: Is it true what we hear about Chicago being so deadly? I almost started crying.
A few nights before leaving came heartbreaking news. Misty's 12 year old daughter Alexis was brutally murdered. https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20170613/uptown/alexis-stubbs-child-murder-stabbing-boyfriend
Misty had asked Singleton to leave and he got belligerent. Misty and Alexis fled the apartment but after waiting awhile Alexis went back in to check with a neighbor. She was 12 years old and a 5th grader. Today our church held a memorial attended by 200 school children.
So, yeah, this trip I'm thinking about a lot of things. Mostly why. I'm pedaling and my head and heart are often elsewhere. I answered the hotel clerk, yes, it's violent there.

Comments