Ruminate

I just had new work published in the latest issue of Ruminate.

Included in this issue is Shann Ray whose new short story collection American Masculine is part Job and part Psalms. He has an incredible way of writing description that marries the reader to the landscape--even an alien one made up of Montana, Spokane, and unnamed tribal lands. I recently read an article about him in Poets & Writers Magazine about his MFA process.
Gregory Spatz, who teaches in the MFA program at Eastern Washington University, makes a case for why creative writing can be taught, holding up Shann Ray as a shining example.   
Apparently Ray was a hard read in draft form. I think I know a little bit about this--aka "I can relate." There are many times when you know where you want to go--it's the getting there that's the actual process of writing. People tell me--that would make a great story--yet they have no idea what makes a great story. An anecdote is not a great story. Two anecdotes does not make a great story. A great story doesn't even know why exactly it's great, but between the idea and the words comes a perfect alignment (Shann knows what I'm talking about) where after the 100th revision you arrive (maybe) at a great story.

Comments