Starry Night Retreat

I've decided to blog my artist residency while here in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico.

A couple things straight off. I'm probably going to run out of toilet paper and the little radio I bought at the T or C thrift store only gets 2 radio stations, a mexican one and a christian one. I think this sort of sums up my experience so far.

About the toilet paper. This a.m. I woke up early, like 6 a.m. to write. It's the desert and cold in the morning. During the night the intense heat of the day radiates out into the huge sky and temps drop to around 30 degrees. Thus, the desert gets cold at night. Many of the houses around here are not set up for cold temps. The doors and windows let in plenty of sunshine, but aren't a tight fit. So my little writing cabin--about the size of a gardening hut, gets pretty cold. So in the a.m. I wake up and make hot tea and sit and write.

Yesterday I put in 2,500 words. I drink tea, tap at my keyboard, and pee. An endless cycle. So I hopped on the bike provided for me here and rode around town looking for a grocery. Found it. It's called Bullocks, an unfortunate name, and bought lettuce and TP.

Then I rode to the library to use the internet. This really is a small town. Two streets run one-way thru it. At the edge is the new Wal-mart where some of the newer homes are going up. It's a sleepy town. Many people come here to retire because of the sun and hot springs for which the town is famous for. More about that later.

The truth about Truth or Consequences is that people do their own thing here. They come here to live free or die (I know that is the state motto for some other state.)--New Mexico is the Land of Enchantment.

So please keep checking in. I wondered when I was accepted into the residency why there wasn't more about it on the internet--well the reason is it's just the first year for the program, and I'm only one of three artists who have so far come for the program. These blogs might encourage others to apply.

Listen WHO wouldn't want to come to New Mexico in the middle of a Chicago winter. Today's high: 70 degrees.

see Starry Night Retreat for more details

Comments

Unknown said…
Thanks--was just about to apply but I know I'd go crazy in a town without lattes and subways.
Please keep posting--can't wait to hear how it all turns out.