If you don't like my Truth then take the Consequences

Many of you have already Googled or looked up the name provenance for the town, but here are some things I just found out.

Last night I had a couple over for dinner that I had met my second night in town at a reception held in my honor at a gallery on Main St.

I invited Bobbie and Andy over because they are neighbors and because I am so daggone desperate for company. I'm getting 4,000 words in a day with little else except the characters' voices inside my head. Stir crazy, but literarily functioning.

At dinner our conversation turned to the town. Of course I am curious about the people here and what goes on. Bobbie said that within the past 2 years there's been something like 15 murders*--not including that serial killer back in '85. Then she proceeded to list off the murders and the grisly details. Did I mention that we were by this time sitting around a camp fire. Edna and Blake, more about them later, had started one in the court yard. So we were sitting around the fire and listening to Bobbie recount the T or C murders and just about every last one of them dealt with someone seeking justice or revenge. They were committed by people who knew each other.

*correction more like 1 murder fifteen years ago; I do not want to leave my readers with the wrong impression
Somehow this didn't help me to feel any better.

So this morning when I woke up early and decided to go for a sunrise run my mind wandered back to the evening before. I was running on a dusty dirt road down by the Rio Grande River. If I screamed no one would hear me except the blue heron that thunderously takes off from the banks whenever I get near. Just as the sun was cresting the ridge of Turtleback Mt. I thought to myself, I've got to get back before the serial killers wake up.

So the truth about Truth or Consequences is: try not to make anyone mad. Here is a pic of Turtleback Mountain.

Comments