My Bike Trip to Nova Scotia, NB, coast of Maine

Day 11 @ St. Brendan's


rescue donkey

Sue and Alan

Day 12, Dennysville to Steuben, Mainayr Campground

Monday June 26, 2017, 63 miles (101 km) - Total so far: 530 miles (852 km)

I'd like say today was easy, but I had to put on my game face. First, it was hard to leave St. Brendans Retreat Center also called Holy Trinity Chapel. Alan and Sue welcomed me into their home. Even the dogs started to love me. We'd sit around the table and have deep talks. There were also chores to do: goats to feed and milk, donkey pens that needed mucked out, and little baby goats that needed to be bottle fed twice a day. This a.m. I helped separate about 2 gallons of goat milk. I left with the sweet taste of cream on my lips.

I knew I had at least 60 miles to do today--and 1/2 of this is up. Nothing like my JOGLE but yet it is taxing--especially in the hot sun. Yes, there was sun. A blessing and a curse. Then I got a flat tire. I pulled over and ex a mined it and found a tack stuck in the rear tire. Off came the bags and I turned the bike over. I was a trooper, yet anxious. I'm terrible at changing tires. I did almost everything then knew I wouldn't have enough finger strength to slip the tire over the last bit of wheel rim. I had made an out of the way turn and was not on the main road, yet I went out and stood by the road and the first car that came I flagged down. It was a nice young man with his own bike on a car top carrier. He was able to manipulate the tire into place and helped me inflate to proper PSI.

For the next 20 miles I worried I'd get a second flat. I saw nails and glass everywhere.

Plus my bottom hurt. I counted down the miles to Mainayr Campground, a picturesque pearl on the banks of Joy Cove/Bay. I have a campsite that over looks the water (tide is out). There's boatloads of mosquitoes, but everything else is perfect. Having tea and cookies and watching the sunset.
Blueberry Land

Mainayr Campground

view from my tent

dusky sunset

Comments