My Bike Trip to Nova Scotia, NB, coast of Maine

Day 5, Shelburne to Argyle Historic Anglican church

Monday June 19, 2017, 60 miles (97 km) - Total so far: 271 miles (436 km)

Yesterday it wasn't just cloudy but cloud-bearing, and at the last moment there was a cloud burst. The air was saturated. The same thing today plus strong winds. Throw in occasional fog.

I left the campsite about 8:30. Very relaxed. The night before I'd stayed up with Jerry and Wendy the campground host's talking around the fire. Lovely people, and so good to talk and hang out.

I hit the 103, and hated it the whole way into Barrington, which was nothing but a cluster of museums. The visitor centre was very helpful and directed me to a place where I ate lunch. The wind was against me the whole way. But after I left the wind pushed me 30 more miles. I knew I couldn't make Yarmouth, maybe I could, but with the fog rolling in I thought better of it. I just didn't want to be stuck with fog and low energy during rush hour traffic. Tomorrow it's supposed to rain all day, so basically all I wanted to accomplish was setting myself up for a short ride tomorrow to a campground where I could possibly dry some clothes. We'll see.

Anyway, I stopped at just 60 miles at a beautiful clapboard Anglican church in Argyle. The graveyard was established in 1790. I'm in a fantastically beautiful spot. I am perched here awaiting the rain.




Comments