My Bike Trip to Nova Scotia, NB, coast of Maine

Day 6, Yarmouth, Lakelawn Motel

Tuesday June 20, 2017, 18 miles (30 km) - Total so far: 290 miles (466 km)

Well, I didn't get very far. I packed up dry--yet everything felt damp. The humidity. The first 13 miles were great though windy. I took a great pic(to come) of St. Anne's church and the interior of a Baptist one. It was the first time I'd actually seen one open. Even Sunday they all looked dead. After coming out of the church I noticed it was spritzing, not even half a mile down the road it was raining so I put on poncho.

I crossed several causeways to get into Yarmouth. The wind was pushing me off the road. It was scary and my poncho was ballooning. I finally made it to a Tim Horton's, my life raft. I had them fill my thermos and ate a sandwich. All the while I was checking warmshowers and CouchSurfing, looking for a host. At one point the rain came down so hard the hardy lobstermen inside commented on it. Meanwhile I'm in soaking wet clothes, squishy shoes, wondering what to do.

I got back on the bike. It would only be 17 miles to a provincial park and the wind should be in my favor. Then I saw the cutest little motel with gingerbread details and I stopped and asked how much. Silly question: I was prepared to pay almost anything. I've been carrying underwear for 2 days hoping to dry them. Lakelawn Motel is an oasis. I plan to give them a great review. With tax it came to $139.15, let's hope there's a good exchange rate.

So now after an excellent HOT shower and a chance to clean clothes, I'm snug, things are drying and airing out around me. There's TV and Wi-Fi and my thermos is full of tea. Life is good. Tomorrow I hope to make it to Digby in if not sunshine then at least not a hurricane.
ÉGLISE STE-ANNE CHURCH

Comments