Padenstedt to Niobe Camping on Fehmarn Island

Thursday June 14, 2018, 148 km (92 miles) - Total so far: 768 km (477 miles)

A bit of nervous stomach a.m., but excited, hopefully Puttgarden and Denmark. Oh, I know why so nervous: no way to charge phone which I need for navigation. I've noticed a change in elevation. Yesterday -153 (below sea level), today -50.

The bike path along the busy road was super smooth. Riding at first I was stiff. I had to remind myself to relax my shoulders. Plön was a great town for outdoor enthusiasts. I saw bikers, hikers, and kayakers. I took care of a few things like buying an adapter for 12 Euros and a book for 11 Euros. I find I don't like wasting Kindle battery power reading. Now I can just curl up at night with a book.
After a lunch on a hillside over looking Plön, I began to make my way to Eutin and Oldenburg on forested and quiet back roads, and sometimes the busy road--as opposed to the dedicated path beside the road for bikes. After Eutin I was in for some climbing--sometimes very long. I got to Oldenburg in Holstein at 3 pm. Great! I got this!

Where was the bridge to take me to Fehmarn island? I'd been following the road signs for Puttgarden. The bike signs weren't connecting to anything on my list. They can advertise smaller increments than the road signs. Come to find out I should have been heading to Großenbrod. A woman told me to head to Heiligenhafen, so I swung way more north than necessary. I got to Großenbrod, but where was the bridge? By now I was beside myself. I stopped to eat and tried to ask. I had the feeling the men were making fun of me. Now I see they were asking me if I was going to the island. Anyway the sent me back. Finally, another older lady on bike said I will take you almost there. I would've found it--something so big on my own. Once there I almost kept cycling beyond the entrance for bikes because you have to open a little door to get onto the strip of pavement meant for bikes beside the busy road over the North Sea.

By then I'd cycled well over 130 KM. And had decided to camp on the island. I started looking for stealth camping and found a little sanctuary. I sat there and had a tea and rode out instructions for tomorrow. Then a whole family of ducks walked through. I realized it was for them, a duck garden. So got up to leave.

Now about 7:30 and overcast. As I started riding looking for camping it began sprinkling. Then the wind came up. Then it turned into a squall. It took me several KM to find something. I arrived at 8 pm, literally blown in. The attendant Wolfgin showed me tent camping, but also mentioned a little house. I really wanted the little house. He showed me that. And that I could use his potty right next to the little house in a shed. And harbor my bike on his covered porch. I'm in the little house.

Way better than the duck garden.

I was able to wash out clothes and wash up. I have a tea pot that I made hot water in this a.m. And, most importantly, was able to charge all devices to full. Plus, because inside on a real mattress, able to sleep in. What a great feeling.

On to Denmark and the ferry.
fields of blue grass

amber waves of grain

quiet paths

a bridge too far

Fehmarn Island

Comments