Gnarrenburg to Padenstedt

Wednesday June 13, 2018, 146 km (91 miles) - Total so far: 620 km (385 miles)

It cannot be overstated
1) I get lost a lot
2) I'm lost in Germany
quiet roads

thatched roof houses

timbered walls

narrow lanes

crossing the Elbe

stork's nest: I heard a clacking sound similar to oars clanking against the side of a boat, it was their bills 

It's not just big cities, but also the po-dunk one I camped in last night. I swear I wasted 6 K trying to find the right road out to Bremervorde.

I finally got going wearing pants, orange overshirt, and a jacket. All a.m. spit rain and wind, NW 12-15. So in my head grey and sort of feeling like a loser. When people see me, an older lady, the question is always: Alone? By yourself? There is so much between the lines.

So on my way to Bremervorde I stopped at a cafe. I couldn't figure out how to open the door. I could see they were open. Finally the counter person came out and let me in. I was pulling instead of pushing. While sitting there eating the best cake ever I shed a few tears. Alone. By myself. But! I was in Germany, eating the best cake ever!

I took yellow, small roads on my map that were quiet and quite lovely. I took pictures of steep, thatch-roofed houses and tiny lanes. Old churches and timbered walls.

I met an older cycling couple and we went together one KM before Bernd gave tips on getting to the ferry. I followed his suggestions and made it to the ferry by 2 p.m. I wasn't sure what kind of ferry it was, so stopped first to use toilet (what they call it over here) and eat a brat--served from the fryer slathered with mustard, all for 2 Euros.

The ferry was just for cars and took 30 min. On the other side I quickly clicked off the KM. wind was an issue--and something else. I stopped at one point thinking I had a flat or broken spokes or strap caught in the cogs like yesterday. But no. I was simply going slightly uphill. I almost forgot how to shift everything's been so flat.

Tonight at Forellensee camping in Padenstedt, sort of a rip off at 13.50, but offers resort type stuff. On that note, I discovered I'd left my electrical converter in the wall socket at the last place. Will have to fine another, soon.

Comments