Greetings from Amsterdam

Wednesday June 6, 2018, 16 km (10 miles) - Total so far: 16 km (10 miles)

Greetings from Amsterdam. I'm not sure what day or time it is, let's just say it's good to be here. Right now having a tea overlooking a verdant green courtyard. A family is dining outside and kids are playing. This is all in contrast to the getting lost, riding in circles in the heat, and getting to my host's house late. But first the good.

Flights went smooth. My bike arrived with me and was waiting in oversized luggage. A guard invited me to assemble it off to the side. Assembly went fine, about 1 hour. Then I exited the terminal.

Terror.

I had no idea how to follow my direction. Yet I made it out of the airport and toward Amsterdam. About halfway I figured out my navigation. Feeling pretty good about everything. Snapped a pic of a windmill, then got turned around and cycled almost back to Schipotal. Sheesh.

So by the time I arrived it was 4:30 and my host was not answering her bell and I had 1% battery left. But a neighbor feeling bad for me took me in and meanwhile a house guest of my host finally answered the door (she had headphones on and didn't hear the door bell). I carried my bike up 4 flights of narrow twisty stairs to the THIRD? floor.

I went for a walk and got a few things and am now chilling on the courtyard balcony--realizing I made it to Amsterdam!!

Bucket List

Comments