Transition day, Lindau






 Yesterday was about waking up and moving from Switzerland to Germany with a tiny slice of Austria in between. Johanna and I left the mountains in her car. It was a Saturday, so I saw lots of cyclists. I'm itching to start my ride, but for the weekend I'll be at Johanna's family farm outside of Frankfurt.

On Lake Bodenesse (spelling?) at the corner of the three countries is an old trading town, Landau, situated on an island. The place reminded me of the table game Settlers of Catan with a town hall from the mid-1400s and old plaster and timber buildings. I took plenty of pictures, I thought, but turns out, no. I feel like my mother, ruining the vacation because she accidentally deleted or exposed the film. I'm not sure what happened. It was hard to see the screen because of the noon sun. So no evidence I was there, but you can Google Landau.

Coincidentally, Monica was there also. We found out later that on her family gathering they took a trip there. We might have overlapped by 10 minutes.
The car ride took us 5 more hours. The scenery was basically highway, a bit like driving through the Midwest except no ugly franchise cluttered exchanges or annoying billboards.

As we unloaded the car we discovered that my rear tire is flat. I'd filled it at Monica's and after found it soft and refilled it. Now I think I'll to change it. Already Johanna has volunteered het brother and husband, but I'll try first. The hardest part is getting the bead back over the rim. We'll do that today and maybe a little trip. I hear the family talking in German and then it is explained to me that there is a cool place not too far. It's like there are surprises everywhere.

On that note: My proposal for the Festival of Faith and Writing was accepted for next year's conference. Sort of a big deal.

(I found the photos on my phone, the world is saved)

Comments