Day 6, Strasbourg to Eguisheim, 82 km

I left at 8:20 a m. super excited because it was supposed to be a low mileage day. My host gave me good tips on getting out of the city, so it was relatively easy. He also managed to turn on roaming so I was able to get turn-by-turn directions. It really helps. I think by 9 I was following the Canal de Rhin under an arbor of trees. Maybe it's autumn in the air, but I thought I was smelling hazelnut coffee. Vanilla, maybe.

At times leaves covered the path, and I saw swaths of red and gold. It's been quite warm with late afternoon temps in the low 80s, though I hear a change is coming. 
Because the trail ran parallel to the canal, there were hardly any turns and it was perfectly flat. A stress-free day as far as directions and not getting lost 
I had a bakery stop in Sundhausen. I'm awful with French, no concept of the language. People have been very sweet though and help me give them the right change at the shops. I try to smile a lot and say merci. 

At noon I saw a little cafe table and bench by the path and pulled over for a picnic lunch. Perfect.

By 2:30 I was in Colmar, which was like a fairy tale town, even better than Strasbourg. I spent a few hours there just wandering around. My Warmshower host lives in Eguisheim about 8 km away. Last night my WS host exclaimed when I said I had a host in Eguisheim, that the town/village had been voted the best in Alsace. Alsace is the name for this popular wine region. Right outside the door are vineyards. Anyway, back to Eguisheim, last night's host also said to arrive in plenty of time to tour. I walked around Eguisheim for 1 and half hours and around every curve and corner was something cute. Cuteness overload. The town looks completely medieval, like a movie set. There are stork nests on roof tops. I can imagine living here in the 1200s until a Porsche enters the narrow lane trying to squeeze by 

So tonight's host is a very busy mom, juggling her children's schedules, work, and now me. Not sure how this happened as I try to be careful, but Veronique accepted me and I answered in baby French--and I think we were both under the impression we might be able to communicate. Not really. I've been doing a terrible job, even with Google translate. Good will and hand gestures go a long way. Meanwhile between her pilates class and helping her kid's with homework she whipped up a souffle (I know, very French, right?) something I've never attempted. Amazing. Amazing. This life, cycling the Rhine River in autumn.
Along the Canal de Rhin





WWII pillbox


in Colmar



in Eguisheim




Comments