Day 7, Eguisheim to Freiburg, 62 km

I forgot to mention that souffle my host made, she used no recipe; all from routine. Also, and I thought about this this morning, how lucky I am. It was purely an accident of circumstances I was in Eguisheim. If Veronique hadn't accepted me, then I wouldn't have gone there. But, because she did, I fell into a fairy tale. 

In fact, this whole trip has felt like a story. Even when lost or frustrated with directions, there comes along something good. 

Today was a low-mileage day, with some effort. 1) I needed turn-by-turn directions as I was off the paper map and also the signage by the path was a bit different. In other words, I'm not following the Rhine or Eurovelo 15. And, 2) there were hills.

So I left early before 8 following my phone to Neuf Brisach, the city with fortified walls, where I had a cafe stop. It's ridiculous a coffee and giant Nutella croissant come to E4.10. It was only 9:30 a.m. and I only had 23 km to go. But, the next bit introduced some climbs, which hasn't been the case yet. 

I made it to my Friend's house around 12:30, too early to meet up. I was trying to think what to do with the next few hours. There was a spot in front of the house by a bike path, so I sat down to have a tea and a kind woman came out of her house and ask if I wanted to sit in her garden. I got up and said, I'm Marin's friend Jane and she said, I'm Marin's sister. So now it was easy, I ate from my bag in the garden, used the toilet, dropped my bags, and got on my bike for a tour of Freiburg. 

My point being: Sometimes when I'm not sure what's next, a plan usually comes.




A bit of Freiburg





Comments