Day 8, Freiburg to Weil am Rhine, 68 km












I arrived in Freiburg on Friday and spent Saturday off the bike. Good thing, as it was stormy. There's been a shift in the weather, more autumn like. I spent a large part of Saturday just relaxing and playing games with a four year old whose ability to speak 2 languages was one greater than mine. 

Back in Strasbourg my host had suggested that I stay on the German side of the Rhine; there was no reason, aside from my paper instructions, to come back to France. He said the signage was better on the German side. So that was a change in plans. I quickly checked a map and saw the town Weil am Rhine and thought I should try for that town. 

I mentioned this to my friend Maren whom I was staying with in Freiburg. She said my brother lives in Weil and, in fact, I can ride with you and then take the train back. I was beyond thrilled. Yes!

So we left this a.m  at 9 under cloudy skies. The streets were wet from a recent shower and the forecast called for off and on showers all day. Temps were in the 50s and I wore tights and my rain jacket all day. But, we were lucky in that it rained always BEFORE we arrived somewhere, thus missing getting wet. 

We followed not the Rhine Way, but the Wine Way, climbing up and down through vineyards. . 

We headed first toward Mulheim, then to Mauchen, where Maren's mother lived. Then we drove on to Schliengen, 43 km, where they were at church. We arrived just in time for fellowship hour. But, here the Germans don't just do stale coffee and cake. It rivaled a European bakery. I had a wonderful cafe latte and two pieces of apple cake plus a slice of kuchen. We now followed signs for the Roman Way. Apparently the Romans were here until run off by the Barbarians, leaving behind some ruins. All morning we'd been climbing and descending. At the church Maren gave me two options, 1) follow the Rhine, which I'd been doing, using my maps, the Eurovelo 15, 2) or a more scenic route with moderate hills. I took the latter. After a more than moderate climb, we stayed on a plateau and wound our way to Weil. We arrived around 2 pm at the Vitra Design Museum, where we ate lunch at an outdoor cafe and browsed the gift shop. At 5 pm Maren left to catch the train and I walked around a bit before riding the 1 km to her brother's house.

All along the way today we'd stop and look at things and Maren would explain that she grew up in a certain house or we'd ride by a beautiful old place and she'd say her brother lived there, or ride by a town and say her sister lived there. Her DNA is conveniently placed for my route!

So 2 more days left of riding. I'm loving my trip. Tomorrow Basel and beyond.

Comments