Day 7, Adirondacks and Green Mountain Loop Bike Trip, 2019


Day 7, to Prouty Beach Campground via Canada
First thing: I’m exhausted, simply put--there are very few (none) places to rest, eat, get out of the sun. I had no shops until Newport Center.

Tomorrow I want a short day so since I’m ahead of itinerary will break one of my days in two. There is a chance of thunderstorms tonight and all weekend.

Last night when I checked in the college kids said it was going to rain A LOT and it did. Starting at 8:30 til midnight, then again til 4, then from about 6-10, it poured. I stayed dry in my miracle lean-to and packed up dry. Thank God not an electrical storm. I didn’t sleep well, I had weird dreams.

So gathered everything in faith it would stop raining and by 10:30 off. A big hill out of the park, a foretaste of what was to come.

There were so many steep, leg-sucking energy hills. I took the Quebec Alternative, which after being processed through the border turned down a steep gravel hill. With so much h rain, the surface was bullied. This was freaky for about 3 miles. After that more relentless hills. And no chances for water or potty. I did/got both at the U.S. border almost 2 hours later. Since I got such a late start, it was HOT, sauna-ish. Though there was a breeze and temps were not excessive, I still sweated a great deal--especially either riding or pushing a loaded bike uphill.

I crossed the U.S. border around 3 pm with 18 more miles to go. I was so tired, but handled it by stopping frequently to drink. I made it to Prouty Beach around 5:30. I noted a Wendy’s as I was riding in, but I don’t like the idea of riding back. After my shower I decided to buckle down and ride back--over slight hills. But on the way out of the campground I spy a bike path. That takes me all the way there!!! I ate like a starving person.



Comments