Day 4, Adirondacks and Green Mountain Loop Bike Trip, 2019

Schroon River




Schroon Lake

Eagle Pond
Day 4, Hearthstone State Park to Crown Point State Park, 67.86 miles
Camping in the Adirondacks
Slowly night falls
On Route 9 traffic hums.

I pulled out antibody 9 and was soon at Diamond Point Rd. A big climb up from the lake. Good thing it was first, so I could do it in the cool of the morning. I took the Schroon River road, maybe a car every 10 minutes. It was so beautiful and relaxing. Twenty miles in stopped at a general store to buy a postcard and a patch! My lunch stop was in Schroon Lake at Stwarts which sells gas and ice cream. I decided to take 9 instead of following the east side of the lake. Gradients were gentle.

High in the Adirondacks—how do I know? All the bear knick knacks, gift shops, and t-shirts.
Route 74 was logging trucks and trucks in general, there was no bike lane or berm. It was steady up and down, more up. At 46 miles I needed a cooling break, so turned at Eagle Lake. I was so sick of hills. There were fishermen on the dock and a lady paddling a kayak with her dog. Both were wearing life vests. I was in the Pharoah Wilderness Area, Pitney and pristine. I had planned to hidey camp there but the spot I’d staked out at Google Earth had no trespassing signs posted.. plus I’d heard it is forecasted to rain, so kept going.

I took Corduroy Rd. which was actually great, minimal traffic, and, about halfway through, a llooonnggg downhill. Into Crown Point where I bought a Gatorade to power me into Crown Point Campground by the Champlain Bridge.

The Adirondack NY State Parks are a national treasure. I pulled in at 4:45 and there were several campsites open. I chose one by the water across from toilets and shower. Here we do not have to pay to shower. The water was HOT and the bathroom though rustic is clean.

I’m now 1/2 day ahead of schedule. I conquered the Adirondacks!!

Comments