Day 1 & 2, Adirondacks and Green Mountain Loop Bike Trip, 2019


Day 1, Ride to Union Station, 7.9 miles

I rode downtown via the Lakefront Trail to Wells St. To Kinzie to Clinton. Very straightforward, but I was concerned about the weight. Egads my bike is heavy. It’s all the snacks and food.

At the station as they lined up seniors for boarding I told a steward I had a bike. I quick hustled to baggage and got a tag for the handlebars. I then walked everything out to the platform, took the bags off, and handed it to a guy in the baggage car.

The train journey was GREAT. I actually slept like 7 hours. You always get a different perspective from a train window. More backyards. We passed many abandoned factories. Likely ones that once made stuff no one uses anymore, like ladies gloves or parts for wagons.

Day 2, Albany-Rennsselear station to Clifton Park, 23.3 miles
As far as trains go we were only a little bit behind. We arrived in Albany one hour late. There was confusion about where to get my bicycle. One conductor said to get it at baggage claim,while a lady told me I needed to retrieve it from the baggage car. The very last car of the train. I ran because I could imagine the train pulling out with my bike.

Once loaded up and watered up I took off. Google directions . . . Not always easy, often counterintuitive, sometimes great. I just need to think, shift gears, read street and detour signs, everything at once and navigate. A lot when you’re freaked out.

I took the Mohawk Hudson Bike path and Route 9.  I then return to Mohawk Hudson Hike Bikeway.. More about this later and pics. There are steep hills here. More freaking out.

Click here for a larger version of the picture
Mohawk Hudson Hike Bikeway
I arrived at my friend’s parent’s house 2 hours later. Directions were straightforward. I did see some ugly meth-head guys hanging out on corners. I think a result of economic depression in these towns. My friend’s house on the other hand, is the lap of luxury. We hang out til 10, but after that I’m too tired and say good night.

Comments