Day 3, Adirondacks and Green Mountain Loop Bike Trip, 2019

Day 3, First actual day of riding, Clifton Park to Hearthstone Campground, 54.4 miles
Left Laura’s house at 8 a.m. because I want to beat the heat, also anxious. Yes, there were hills and I’m learning about planning ahead with shifting. You cannot wait to get into gear. Also I have to think: I’m heavy, thus I shift into overkill. I have three chainrings in the front and 7 in the back. I am all over the back gears and try to stay in 2, shifting to 3, the lowest, if I anticipate.

Route 9 is busy but with a wide margin,practically a whole lane for cyclists, not a problem. At Saratoga Spa State Park a bike path begins on the left. Outside of SS more rural. At 12 noon in South Glen Falls, 37.5 miles, I stop for lunch at a cute spot. Mr. Bills American Food. The Muzak plays top 40 from like the 60s. Temperature is about 75, but I’m sweating uphill. It looks like rain when I leave but no.

Once I pick up the Warren County Bike Trail it’s smooth sailing to Lake George—the Pigeon Forge of the Adirondacks. A guy rode with me into the town; he was very knowledgeable about the area. Gave me some great tips. 9N to Hearthstone is hilly, busy, and curvy. It’s like 3 pm!! I’m treating myself to more campgrounds and less miles this trip. So nice to pull in without being exhausted, sunburnt, or dehydrated. The guys camping next to me immediately fill up my cup with lemonade. It cost me $30. So a bit pricey, but I’m very happy to be here. I went swimming in the lake and am relaxed.










Comments