When Jack Visits

We’re crossing milestones and land bridges here in Michigan—and it’s all so sweet.

I’ve been here for nearly two years. When I arrived the end of September 2021 Jack, my grandson, was an unformed 9 month old mushy mush. We still didn’t have a good bead on his personality or precociousness. Now at 2 ½ we see we’re in for it. He runs headlong and babbles all day long. There is a lot on his mind and some of his decisions are not well thought through. Maybe that’s why he has so many cuts and bruises.

He is getting more and more adventurous. Whereas the world at one time seemed a big place, he has begun to own his own little corners. Such as the territory between his back door and my front door; he navigates across the patio to come find me in the morning.

Yesterday as I slept in and was just laying a-bed, I heard a series of faint knocks and a little voice calling out, Grandma, Grandma. I scurried down the ladder from my loft and let him in.

Whereupon he needed a cracker and asked to climb up and watch YouTube on my computer.

He and I are both getting used to widening our world and getting out. The fact that he can now unlock the patio door and walk over and see me anytime is amazing, wonderful, and not always convenient. But, when I sit and think, I love the fact that I live so close and that he has someone to come visit in the morning. The very idea makes me smile.



Comments