Day 3, July 5, Gravel, Rail Trail, and Chip Seal

Day 3, July 5
64 miles
Saranac to Okemos

The heat was almost unbearable today. I got up early and was gone by 6:20. There was a heavy ground fog in the fields as I left. I tried to eat as much as I could. Again, every bottle was full and, most importantly, I had a Gatorade in reserve.

The Shiawassee Trail to St. Johns was slow, or else I was. I took my time and made frequent stops to simply drink or adjust my butt. Everything felt a little ragged around the edges. It took 4 hours to go 36 miles, but I made it to St. Johns by 10:30. Wildlife along the trail was intense with deer and rabbits darting out and then scurrying away. Riding along the Grand River was beautiful as the sun was just coming up. There are depot towns about every 7 miles with trailside water sources and restrooms.

After eating and taking a break, I slathered on cream for my backside and brought out the big bottle of Gatorade. I knew with noon coming there would be very little shade on the roadways, and I had about 27 miles to cover before home. I made it back by 3, taking numerous tree-shade breaks where I laid in people’s yards with a wet neckerchief on my face in order to cool down.

This trip was supposed to prepare me for my Rhine River ride this fall—not sure I passed the test. Still nursing my saddle sores, but at least on the hottest day in the whole world I survived.

203 miles in 3 days.






 

Comments