Gravel, Rail Trail, and Chip Seal: 3 days in the heartland of Michigan

Gravel, Rail Trail, and Chip Seal: 3 days in the heartland of Michigan

Monday, July 3
63 miles
Okemos to Alma

The first 10 miles were familiar territory. I eventually got on Chandler going north and soon Google put me on gravel. Krepps was 9 miles, mostly hardpacked surface. I hooked up with the Shiawassee Trail in St. Johns where I had a lunch break. There a seasoned rider gave me intel trying to help me stay on paved roads, using DALMAC maps. His route took me into Maple Rapids, where I took another break. From there Google again had me on gravel. Algers started gravel then changed to chip seal. Harder work than I wanted. Winds were fairly calm and the day started with thick clouds. By noon clouds were breaking and I had to put on sunscreen. Traffic was very light and will likely stay that way over the next couple of days leading into the holiday.

The last 10 miles were ugly as heat and exhaustion caught up with me and there was no shade and the miles were boring. My legs were burning.

Right now having tea in Girl Scout area off limits to cars by Pine River Park. Feels good to be done for the day.




Comments