Halmstad to Varberg, Sweden

Wednesday June 20, 2018, 93 km (58 miles) - Total so far: 1,270 km (789 miles)

Left camp at 8 a.m.--surprised as I slept later than usual and took my time packing up. Again skies were cloudy, heavy. Soon after it began to rain. I rode in mist and spit until noon, where I took lunch in Falkenberg. I really have been running a calorie deficit. So got a big bacon burger, for 65. Swedish kroner.


my prison cell

repurposed prison potty

my prison door

where the inmates stay upstairs

broke out of prison shower

view

I was at 50 KM and Varberg was about 40 KM away. No problem. The wind was from the south at a strong 20 mph. It was a sweet ride going north. Good thing I had that burger, I was spinning so fast, I had to stop to drink water.

Coming in to Varberg, I could see the Fortress ahead. A bulwark against the sea, some rough seas today. There were people out there kite surfing. The fortress is surrounded by a moat, separate from the city, and is a bit like a small village with shops and row houses. It's where they kept the prisoners. Think Les Miserable. It is from a long time ago. I checked in at Fortress Hostel right in the old fort, on one of the narrow lanes. She asked if I wanted a bed in a prison cell. Yes, please.

She unlocked the door and on the first floor is an open area with doors off to the sides. There is a mezzanine with more doors. The room is basic, but very cool. And, there's WiFi!


ramparts

Comments