Where do you see yourself?

 
Scholarships
 
27th Annual
Writers Workshop at Chautauqua
July 16-23, 2011
 
 
A Life-Changing Experience

In 2005, writer and storyteller Dianne de las Casas lived and worked in New Orleans. Her home and business had been devastated by Hurricane Katrina. Dianne was trying to get back on her feet and rebuild her career because her bread and butter had been in Louisiana, which suffered tremendously after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. In 2007, Dianne was selected to receive a scholarship to attend the Highlights Foundation Writers Workshop at Chautauqua.
Here is what Dianne has to say:
“My experience at Chautauqua was life-changing. I was able to spend one-on-one time with children’s book masters, who became my mentors and finally, my friends. Candace Fleming was my assigned mentor but authors Bruce Coville, Kelly Milner Halls, Christine Taylor-Butler, Eric Rohmann, Larry Dane Brimner, and Joy Cowley were all willing mentors to every Chautauqua attendee. Many of the other Chautauqua attendees became lifelong friends. The connections I made at Chautauqua were no doubt some of the most meaningful connections I have made in the children’s book industry.
If you are considering attending any of the Highlights Foundation workshops or retreats, I highly encourage you to just do it. You will nourish your soul in a breathtaking environment, learn from the best in the children’s book publishing industry, mingle with masters, and make lifelong friends.”
When events threatened to swamp Dianne’s writing goals, she did not give up. She found the help she needed to move forward and so can you. Apply for a scholarship today and in July, 2011, you may find yourself posing for a picture with the new writing friends you’ve made at Chautauqua!



 
Think Chautauqua is out of your reach?
Think again!
Since 1988, the Highlights Foundation has provided more than 300 scholarships to writers and illustrators like you!
The requirements are simple.
  1. 1.You must have a serious interest in writing for children.
  2. 2.You must have established financial need.
  3. 3.You must believe in yourself enough to apply!

The earlier you apply, the better your chances!

It’s easy to apply. Just contact Jo Lloyd at 570-253-1192 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              570-253-1192      end_of_the_skype_highlighting or e-mail jalloyd@highlightsfoundation.org.
Put yourself in this picture!

once upon a time I was a would-be children’s writer living in the Pacific Northwest. Every year, I sent off a request for a report on the previous summer’s Highlights Foundation Writers Workshop at Chautauqua. I poured over the excerpts from workshops taught by such icons as Jerry Spinelli and Patricia Lee Gauch. I looked at photos of faculty members interacting with participants: chatting on benches, eating ice-cream cones, strolling down brick-cobbled paths. I can’t tell you how many times I imagined myself at Chautauqua or how much I longed to go there and learn what I needed to know to reach my goals as a children’s writer.

What I can tell you is this—I never went, at least not as a student. Why not? Because I thought I couldn’t afford to go. You see, somehow I missed one essential bit of information: the Highlights Foundation offers scholarships! 

If you long to attend Chautauqua as much as I did, it’s likely that financial concerns have stopped you. Now you know: they don’t have to.

It took me eight years as an editor to finally get to Chautauqua, but I’ve been blessed to serve on the faculty for seven years. If I’d known back then what I know today, I wouldn’t have wasted a moment getting my scholarship application in the mail. Now that you know, don’t wait. Make 2011 the year you go after your dream. 

I’ll look forward to meeting you at Chautauqua!

Kim T. Griswell
Senior editor; Highlights, Inc.http://www.highlightsfoundation.orghttp://www.highlightsfoundation.orghttp://www.highlightsfoundation.org/pages/scholarships_top.htmlshapeimage_10_link_0shapeimage_10_link_1shapeimage_10_link_2
For more scholarship information or to apply for your 2011 Highlights Foundation scholarship, contact Jo Lloyd at 570-253-1192 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              570-253-1192      end_of_the_skype_highlighting or e-mail jalloyd@highlightsfoundation.org.
Imagine Yourself at Chautauqua
One Week • 45 Workshop Choices • Inspiring Talks • One-on-One Mentoring
 

Comments