Donahue

I read in the news that Phil Donahue died. Suddenly I felt very Daytonian. I texted my friend, also a Jane, from Dayton. Donahue died, is what I wrote. I knew Jane would understand.

It’s not news but us. Once more, we’re remembering our childhood and where we came from and how pieces of it are sloughing off each day.

I can’t help but think of Donahue and Erma Bombach the famous newspaper humorous and author of several books who was also from Dayton. She and Phil Donahue were neighbors in Centerville, Ohio (where I’m from) when they both broke out onto the national stage.

(Side note: my piece “Obsolete,” was published Fall, 2019 in the Erma Bombeck blog out of University of Dayton.)

Anyway, Phil Donahue died and now my friend and I are left bemoaning that we, too, will one day be relegated to a random memory to those who care to remember.

RIP Phil. Peace.

 


 

Comments