The Joy in the Journey

 I remember as a little kid waiting in line for Santa. This is one of my earliest memories so I was very young. I must have been told who Santa was and that he was responsible for bringing my presents. I understood I had a duty to tell him what I wanted. So we showed up at the department store and rode the elevator up. We got off into a cottony world of sparkly snowflakes. We wandered through colored lights and fabricated gumdrops. We winded through what looked like a workshop manned by elves with jingle hats and bells on their toes. It seemed to take forever. Finally we made it to a studio where there was a camera and helpers, and sitting on a throne was a fat man in a red suit with a fake beard. The Big Kahuna. The main event. Santa. 

I climbed aboard his lap and whispered what I wanted for Christmas and then it was over.

Leaving, I realized that all those places we walked through, Winter Wonderland, Elf Workshop, Santa World was all part of the experience and I had missed it by only focusing on the one minute I got with Santa.

I’m trying in this time of transition to not miss the lesson, to not lose track of the bigger picture. To have joy in the journey.





Comments

Unknown said…
Great! You were so tiny, you still are.