Day 11, Adirondacks and Green Mountain Loop Bike Trip, 2019


Day 11, Lebanon to Gifford Woods State Park via Killington Peak, 43 miles
Such a perfect day. New Hampshire to Vermont. Those first days of riding in hot humid weather with hills (the 3 Hs plus hell makes 4) were excruciating. Enjoying the ride so much more. Yesterday and today kept stopping to take pictures of the blue sky, red barns, covered bridges, sunny meadows crowded with lupine and butterflies.
Two more covered bridges. One on Queechee Road and one by Old River Road on the way to Woodstock Village. This was a dirt road which I’m usually apprehensive about taking (a holdover from getting lost following Google directions in Norway), but this road was lovely, like a little picnic along the river in a shaded grove. I stopped at The Village Butcher for a sandwich and soup. The soup and crackers filled me up, so saved the sandwich. Woodstock is typical quaint New England, rich white people.

The approach to Killington Peak was gradual. I was partly again on dirt roads, which led me to one more small covered bridge before emptying out onto route 4 with substantial truck traffic. At Bridgewater I refilled my water bottle and used the porto. I stayed in my second gear most of the way up, and in the middle gears in back. I took a turn at Mission Farm Rd. where there is a beautiful stone church. It was a small religious community. A woman said they lead retreats.

So kept going. I ate 1/2 my sandwich and some trail mix right before Mission Farm so I was ready. The real climbing began soon after re-entering route 4. Storefront gear, but in the rear not too low which gave me climbing not spinning power. Still about 4 mph for 20 minutes. A few cars beep-beeped encouragement.

Really, it was over quickly. In 43 miles at Gifford Woods (1614 ft), campsite 10, super quiet, tucked into the woods. This is a stop off/thruway for Long Trail and AT hikers. It’s only 2 pm so relaxing and planning next 2 days.

Hopefully tonight can maybe have potluck with other campers.


Mission Farm Church

office at Gifford Woods State Park

chillin' at Gifford Woods State Park

campsite at GWSP










Comments