Thank You

The more I live, a little over 50 years, the more I am boondoogled, dismayed, broken and built up, discouraged to the point of wishing I’d never been born, left decrying America land of the free, suffused with gratitude, speechless at the kindness of strangers, the common heart that beats within all of us, the evil that resides in all of us, the sense that it is gonna take years for things to change, and wishing that things would stay the same, all the time and forever.

This year I have seen death, not just death but disappointment, people I thought I could trust turn against me, claim they never knew me—and people who never knew me give of themselves in abundance, the least of these, without any means, turn around and love me.

Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.

You know who you are, all of the above.

And, especially Aunt Jean, whose benevolence to us all was exhibited in her stories and kind deeds.

Jean Merrill, author of The Pushcart War
 Her books embrace themes she was passionate about: the struggle of little people over larger powers, the need to preserve the world around us, and the virtue of non-conformity. These ideas resonate with children and The Pushcart War is still used in fifth and sixth grade classrooms around the world. It is considered a landmark children’s book of the 20th century.

Comments